On August 27, 2018, the US Equestrian Board of Directors approved a rule change requiring that effective January 1, 2019, all US Equestrian (USEF) adult members with a Competing Membership must complete USEF’s SafeSport Training in order to be eligible to participate in USEF activities. Members can immediately access the free SafeSport Training directly through their member dashboard. We encourage members to complete the training as soon as possible.
If you do not complete the training, you are ineligible to participate in all USEF activities including competitions.
How do I access the training?
- Go to the USEF website.
- Click the red login button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Click on My USEF in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Click the SafeSport Training icon in your Member Dashboard. This will take you to the Safe Sport website to complete the training.
- Click register to create a new account.
- Fill out the required fields and click next.
- On the second Register page:
- You do not need to upload a photo
- Select your Primary Position with USEF. If you are an owner, please select athlete.
- You must add your membership to US Equestrian in order to show up in our system as SafeSport Trained. If you participate in another National Governing Body organization, you can add that membership at this time. This will ensure that all USOC NGBs you participate in are notified that you have completed the training.
- After adding your membership information, you must certify that you are that individual and click Save.
- Check the email you registered your account with to verify your account and click the link that will take you back to SafeSport website.
- Enter your email and password to login and complete the training modules. All three of the following training modules must be completed in order to satisfy the requirement.
- Sexual Misconduct Awareness Education
- Mandatory Reporting
- Emotional and Physical Misconduct
- After all three modules are complete, print your SafeSport Trained certificate and keep for verification purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions
By what date do I have to complete the SafeSport Training?
All USEF Competing Members 18-years-old and older (based on your actual birthday) must complete the training within 30 days of joining or renewing your membership. USEF will provide members who renew or join on or after December 1, 2018 a 30-day grace period to complete the SafeSport Training. Members joining prior to December 1, 2018 will have until January 1, 2019 to complete the training.
Who is required to take the SafeSport Training?
Any USEF Competing Member who is 18-years-old and older (based on your actual birthday) is required to take the SafeSport training, including amateurs, professionals, juniors who are 18-years-old and older, and owners who have an annual, three-year, or lifetime membership. Others required to take the SafeSport training include USEF licensed officials, Chefs d’Equipe, Staff, Board Members, Competition Management, Coaches, Human Physios, Farriers, Trainers, Veterinarians, and Selectors hired or contracted by USEF. The SafeSport training requirement does not apply to USEF Fan Members or USEF Competing Members under the age of 18 (based on your actual birthday).
If you have already completed the SafeSport Training on or after January 1, 2018 for another National Governing Body you are involved with, please reach out to our SafeSport Program Coordinator, Teresa Roper at email@example.com to ensure that completion is recorded in our system.
How often do I need to complete the SafeSport Training?
The required SafeSport Training (approximately 90 minutes), only needs to be completed once. A SafeSport Refresher Training, which takes approximately 30 minutes, must be completed annually thereafter. USEF provides Competing Members, who are 18-years-old and older, a 30-day grace period to complete the SafeSport Training if they join or renew on or after December 1, 2018.
See the USEF SafeSport Training Frequently Asked Questions website for additional information.
Have additional questions?
Contact one of the US Equestrian customer care agents, who will be happy to assist you. Call (859) 258-2472, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET.